Monday, May 12, 2014

Khasuri!


Wow. There is no way I can fit the last week into this blog. But I shall do my best to summarize and share a few highlights. Our last day in Bazaleti for Orientation week was Saturday, May 3rd. We were assigned our clusters, (aka the group of 5 people we will be spending the next 3 months with learning this very dzneli language…dzneli=difficult).  There are clusters spread throughout the surrounding villages of Khasuri, with two IOD/business clusters actually in the town. I am in downtown Khasuri, along with my clustermates Colin, Sarah, Ryan, and Russell – so far we have eaten a lot, played basketball with local kids, exercised at an abandoned stadium (which we NEED, because the amount of food we are consuming is insane), gone to a rock concert with a ton of 15 year olds, and eaten food among other activities.
Right now, and for the next 2 and a half months, I wake up at 730, walk to Georgian class by 9, until our 2 hour lunch break which starts at 1pm. Then we have technical sessions from about 3pm-6pm. The technical sessions thus far have consisted of learning about Georgian NGO’s. (How many there are in the country, how they are formed, where they usually get funding, and what kinds of causes most of them serve, etc.).  Dinner is pretty much right when I get home, which usually lasts until 8pm. I may study or relax for a couple hours, then its to bed by 10pm and it starts all over again the next day.  That’s pretty much life 6 days a week, and then we get Sundays off. Hopefully Sundays will be full of awesome activities (hiking, visiting surrounding villages, etc).
Host family:
My host family is awesome :) Nana is my 49 year old host mom. She works at a drugstore, is super nice and loves to feed me. She’s the boss. Niko is my 29 year old host brother, and he lives here along with his 26 year old wife, Nino. They have a daughter, Keso, who lives here also. She is a super cute 4 year old with endless energy.  So far we enjoy watching Mr. Bean and Looney tunes together in the evenings. They are all very hospitable, kind, and love to help me practice my Georgian. They love when I mispronounce words, and I’m pretty sure they are enjoying my eating habits. Which I need to get under control.

All in all it is exhausting, there is very little free time, and I am struggling with the language. But I’m having a blast :)
Also I have hot running water, and a toilet. I’m a lucky guy!







No comments:

Post a Comment